Saturday, August 1, 2015

And the Winner is.....

Hey there!  Whew, finally got caught up after a whirlwind weekend of prepping for the contest (running around gathering tables, tents, and cages) and then hosting the contest (tons of fun and work!) and then putting the shambles of our lives back together after the contest was over (actually, trying to properly host our houseguests who where staying with us and being ignored by us during the contest).  The guests are gone, and the materials are ALMOST all returned and put away...

Anyway, you didn't come here for me to whine about our busy weekend, you came to see pictures of and to hear about the FIRST ANNUAL LENTS CHICKEN BEAUTY CONTEST!  First off, let me just say a huge thank you to all the chicken owners who were willing to gussy up their birds, load them in their cars, and bring them on down to this silly little event.  I like to think they are all winners, and in a way they were. While they didn't all get a sweet trophy, they did all get awesome goody bags from Foster Feed, which contained chicken treats, a t-shirt, some dog treats, and a pretty great coupon to use at the feed store.  Pretty rad.  

And thank you to the chicken judges, of which there were 668 of you!  Holy cow! Thats amazing.  I had no idea.  So wonderful to see so many people so excited about chickens!  Channel 6 even sent a person out to see our girls!  Don't know if the segment ever aired (god, i kind of hope not, i did NOT want to be interviewed and I was...)  but it was exciting to see the camerawoman taking pictures of the laies.

But here is what I did get:  That's our booth with our shiny new sign. May we use it for years to come!

    

Some lovely judges voting on their favorite chicken.  We had no age limit, everyone can vote!



This is Penelope, the winning chicken by a landslide!  Her owner said that they dyed her purple with Kool Aid to keep the other chickens in her flock from pecking at her feathers.  I think that the lilac feathers and the purple skin were a winning combination. She took the show like a pro.  Her chicken bio says:  "I might be tiny but I am mighty.  I am the leader of my flock.  Purple is my favorite color, and I love dust baths."


This is Filipe, we think she is a bantum Ameraucana, but her owner has no idea. She was a freebie or a "packing peanut"  with an order of cornish crosses.  An adorable peanut!


This is Drumstick. She is a full size Ameraucana.  She has beautiful colors, too bad I couldn't capture them with my phone!


These ladies are Patty and Selma.  People got a huge kick out of them, and I think they may inspire me to have two categories next year: Prettiest Chicken and Goofiest Chicken, because if there was a goofy category they would have won.


This is Golden Sun.  She might be my favorite, but I am VERY partial to Buff Orpingtons. I love the gold and they are just so personable and friendly to humans.  I'm on my second one right now and she is just as much fun as my first one was.  Sun her was super into my ring and she mugs for the camera like my Ethel does.


Second and Third place Chickens were JB Fletcher and Rose, both owned by the same family!  JB is the one in the back, the Gold Laced Wyandotte.  Rose is in front, shes the barred Plymouth Rock.  They may have accidentally traded some votes, because people weren't sure who was who, being as most of our voters were not experts in chicken breeds!  I think it turned out okay though.


 And this feisty lady is Anne Bronte.  Shes a Light Brahma and she is full of spunk!  She was sassy all day long.  


This is Zelda, a Smooth Sizzle.  I didn't get a good picture of her at the show and because of our shortage of dog crates, we didn't get her and Georgia (her friend) into a big wire crate. Instead they were stuck in their large, dark blue crate.  It didn't show them well, unfortunately, because they are beautiful!  Their owner breeds fancy chickens. You can check them out on Facebook at Cluck n' Chatter Ranch.


If we had a talent portion to our show Pecky here would have won it!  She laid an egg in the middle of the show!  People really enjoyed pointing that out to us.


Heres proof that the news really did come down to our little show!  The cameralady!


Jonah announcing the winners!  


 And this is me and my helpers, Amelia and Casey. Casey's daughter, Maude, helped too, and is not pictured. And that dude on the right is my brother, who was no help at all (Ha!).  I'm so glad they volunteered and spent the whole day helping out!  It was amazing and so very needed, because that contest was so much crazier than expected!  It went so smoothly with their help.  Thank you, you guys!


So that was our day. You can be sure we will be doing it next year! 
Thanks to all who came and thanks to Foster Feed for sponsoring us!

Maggie and Jonah

1 comment:

  1. What a blast! I'm glad it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete